PUHSD Resignation/Retirement Process
1. If you are planning to retire, please contact the ASRS to arrange for your retirement and insurance if applicable. Please refer to the ASRS section of this page.
2. Submit your letter of resignation to your school principal/supervisor by March 15th or as soon as you make your decision to resign/retire from the PUHSD.
Please note: If you are a Certificated Employee and you "break" your employment contract, you may be subject to a monetary penalty. Please refer to the Certificated Professional Agreement for the specific language or review the Voluntary Separation/Release From Contract excerpt herein.
3. Finalize your post-employment insurance. All insurance via the PUHSD will terminate on the last day of the month in which
your contract ends or on the last day of the month in which you retire/resign from the
District whichever is earlier. You will have 4 options for your insurance when you leave the District:
1.Group Insurance via another employer.
2.Private Insurance via the Healthcare Marketplace:
Note: if you have a supplemental life insurance policy, you will be sent the information to convert said policy to an individual policy if you wish. You will also be notified by the District Life Insurance carrier regarding your options for keeping this policy as well (Benefit = Annual Salary or $25,000 which ever is higher).
4. Make arrangements with Security Benefit if your projected leave payoff will be more than $5000. Please refer to the Special Pay Plan section of this page.
5. Make arrangements with your campus/site to return all District equipment & keys.
6. Turn in your PUHSD Early Retirement Program Options form and Attestation to Cyndy Nelke @ CES - 5th Floor. The Talent Dept. will send you these forms automatically if you qualify for this program. For more information regarding the benefits of this Program and to see if you qualify, please refer to the PUHSD Early Retirement Program benefit sheet. For the current reimbursement breakdown, please refer to the PUHSD ASRS Early Retirement Program Reimbursement Amount sheet.